Hi all,
I recently decided to switch from a Microsoft account to a local account on my Windows 11 Pro machine (23H2). I followed the steps in Einstellungen → Konten → Ihre Infos and clicked "Stattdessen mit einem lokalen Konto anmelden". Everything seemed fine, but now my USB printer (HP LaserJet Pro M404) is no longer recognized by Windows. It doesn't show up in Devices & Printers at all. When I plug it in, I get no sound or pop-up. The printer works perfectly on another Windows 11 PC with a Microsoft account, and the cable seems fine.
Additional info:
I read somewhere that local accounts might have different permission sets for devices, but I'm not sure. Could switching to a local account have messed up the USB driver cache or the printer's stored credentials? Is there a way to fix this without reverting back to a Microsoft account? I'd prefer to stay local for privacy reasons.
Any help or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!
I recently decided to switch from a Microsoft account to a local account on my Windows 11 Pro machine (23H2). I followed the steps in Einstellungen → Konten → Ihre Infos and clicked "Stattdessen mit einem lokalen Konto anmelden". Everything seemed fine, but now my USB printer (HP LaserJet Pro M404) is no longer recognized by Windows. It doesn't show up in Devices & Printers at all. When I plug it in, I get no sound or pop-up. The printer works perfectly on another Windows 11 PC with a Microsoft account, and the cable seems fine.
Additional info:
- I reinstalled the latest drivers from HP's site – no change.
- Device Manager shows "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- The printer was working before the account switch, and I didn't change any hardware.
I read somewhere that local accounts might have different permission sets for devices, but I'm not sure. Could switching to a local account have messed up the USB driver cache or the printer's stored credentials? Is there a way to fix this without reverting back to a Microsoft account? I'd prefer to stay local for privacy reasons.
Any help or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!