System: Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (Build 22631.3296), Realtek ALC1220 on ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming.
Problem: After the latest cumulative update (KB5035942) installed yesterday, my onboard Realtek audio device disappeared in Device Manager. No sound output, no playback devices listed. Reinstalling the driver from ASUS website (v6.0.9493.1) didn’t help. I also tried the Windows Update driver rollback – still gone.
What I’ve tried so far:
The weird thing: The Realtek driver package installs without errors, but after a reboot the device is still missing. I can see the “Realtek Audio” entry under “System devices” but not under “Sound, video and game controllers”. Also no “High Definition Audio Controller” in Device Manager.
Has anyone else experienced this after the 23H2 update? Is there a known conflict with the Microsoft HDA driver? Or could it be a BIOS/UEFI setting that got reset? I’m out of ideas.
Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Problem: After the latest cumulative update (KB5035942) installed yesterday, my onboard Realtek audio device disappeared in Device Manager. No sound output, no playback devices listed. Reinstalling the driver from ASUS website (v6.0.9493.1) didn’t help. I also tried the Windows Update driver rollback – still gone.
What I’ve tried so far:
- Running the audio troubleshooter – says “No audio device found”.
- Checking Device Manager for hidden devices – no Realtek entries even with “Show hidden devices”.
- Uninstalling the device via “Device Manager / View / Devices by connection” and scanning for changes – nothing appears.
- Disabling Fast Startup and rebooting.
- Running sfc /scannow (no integrity violations) and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (no issues).
The weird thing: The Realtek driver package installs without errors, but after a reboot the device is still missing. I can see the “Realtek Audio” entry under “System devices” but not under “Sound, video and game controllers”. Also no “High Definition Audio Controller” in Device Manager.
Has anyone else experienced this after the 23H2 update? Is there a known conflict with the Microsoft HDA driver? Or could it be a BIOS/UEFI setting that got reset? I’m out of ideas.
Thanks in advance for any pointers!