Hey everyone,
I've been using the built-in dictation feature (Win+H) in Windows 11 for a while without issues. After the latest cumulative update (KB5036893 or something like that), pressing Win+H no longer activates dictation. Instead, I get a message saying "No microphone detected" or it just does nothing. My microphone works fine in other apps like Teams and Discord.
I've checked:
I also ran the speech troubleshooter – no fix found. Anyone else experiencing this after recent updates? Is it a known bug? Any workaround?
System: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Dell XPS 15, Realtek USB audio.
Thanks for any help!
I've been using the built-in dictation feature (Win+H) in Windows 11 for a while without issues. After the latest cumulative update (KB5036893 or something like that), pressing Win+H no longer activates dictation. Instead, I get a message saying "No microphone detected" or it just does nothing. My microphone works fine in other apps like Teams and Discord.
I've checked:
- Microphone permissions in Settings > Privacy & security > Microphone – enabled for apps and system.
- Sound settings – microphone is set as default input device and is working (test via sound settings shows green bar).
- Drivers – Realtek audio driver updated to latest from manufacturer website.
- Language/Region – German (Germany) is set correctly as suggested for better recognition.
- Exclusive mode – I tried disabling "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in device properties – still same issue.
I also ran the speech troubleshooter – no fix found. Anyone else experiencing this after recent updates? Is it a known bug? Any workaround?
System: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Dell XPS 15, Realtek USB audio.
Thanks for any help!